Bob Babbitt's Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum Stats
2890 Posts in 491 Topics by 376 Members
Latest Member: Rusty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Bob Babbitt's Forum  |  Welcome to Bob's Forum!  |  About Bob  |  Fender Bob Babbitt signature bass « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fender Bob Babbitt signature bass  (Read 49740 times)
george

« on: November 12, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »

does anybody know when Fender is finally going to launch the long over-due (like 20 years over-due) BB signature bass ??

George >:(
Bob Babbitt
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:51:05 AM »

George.....The one thing that Fender made me aware of was to be patient...They have  many signature Basses/Guitars out there now and some new ones coming...Hopefully sometime in 2009 the "Babbitt" Bass will be one of them...Bob
george

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »

Hey Bob: Thanks for getting back to me on this one.....IMO, as I stated before, this is long overdue!

God Bless
George
pat coyne

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:01:27 PM »

Bob...a couple questions,  and i am not sure what your at liberty to say about "the bass"...do you think this will be a limited number production thing or on their signature models do they keep them in production for as long as they sell....i have noticed several signature models "noel redding"  "duck dunn" are 2 i can think of were here and gone quickly while the "roscoe beck"  "geddy lee" etc...seem to be available.  Are they giving an indication where they will be manufactured at?  Many guitar players i have heard tend to think the mexican models are a little better than the others.....and 3rd,  is it true that fourm members are being offered a 60% discount?   ;)

"basso profundo"
george

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »

WOULDN'T THAT BE NICE!!!!! (60%) LOL
george

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »

I thought Duck Dunn switched to Laklands (where he has a signature bass

SRT80

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was a MIM sig.  Would probably be easier on the wallet and just as good I suppose.   I still would like one of the MIM 50's and they finally have the Honey Blonde back in stock.  I thought it was discontinued.  But I'm holdin' off on any bass purchases.  My next bass will be the Bob Babbitt Signature!

It also wouldn't hurt if it isn't released a couple months after christmas.  Give me time to recover.   ;D 

Either way, really lookin' forward to it...

Steve

"I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more FUNK!"
david fitch

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 06:28:24 PM »

Ain't nothing wrong with the MIM Basses. I have five Fender Precisions and my Mexican 50's Classic Precision is at the top of the list that includes Two American Standards, Mexican Standard & 1973 Precision.  I have been playing in a Trad. Chicago Blues band and the MIM 50's P. with D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds is the Bass I use for that band over the others. I am running it through a little Ampeg BA-15 and using my secret weapon,Sansamp VT Bass pedal and I could not be happier with my tone. Dave
george

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 06:37:12 PM »

Gotta agree with that Dave....I haven't been playing bass a long time....but I played guitar for 30+ years in bar bands and I've got a fair idea how a bass SHOULD sound, and the MIM 50's I've got suits me just fine.
david fitch

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 06:54:39 PM »

And what if they make The Babbitt Bass in Japan ? Alot of people are raving about the Geddy Lee Jazz and it's made in Japan. I also have been playing in an 80's Tribute band that is just forming. I have only played with them a couple of times but my "Made In Japan" 75 Reissue is the Bass I have been using in that project over my American Standard Jazz and American Vintage '62 Jazz Basses. I am running it through a Carvin R600 head into an Ampeg 4/10 cabinet and it sounds killer ! Regardless of the country Fender makes The Babbitt Bass in I bet it will be a great axe. I also think it's about time Bob got a signature Bass ! Dave   
BassnforGod

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »

Speaking of Japan models, I play my Marcus Miller (MIJ) everywhere.  I absolutely love it.  I have had zero issues with it.  The first time I picked it up in the music store and wrapped my hand around that neck, I was hooked.  After the purchase of my MM, I soon sold my main axe at the time, Erinie Ball Musicman StingRay 5.  I am sure if Bob gives his approval of his sig on a bass it will be a fine piece.

Speaking of different basses Bob plays, I know that he has played Laklands for a while and I even have a photo of Bob loving on a early 80's Kramer Pioneer, cream with gold hardware.  The custom ToadMaster he is currently using is nothing short of AWESOME.  I have often wanted to try and copy that axe, but time and $$$ keep getting in the way.

Years ago, I tried to get Lakland to work on a model for Bob, but at the time Dan Lakin thought they already had one in the product line too similar to Bob's Motown days.  I guess what I am trying to say is the quality that Bob would insist on will come from Fender, not a country.  I have MIJ Precision Funk Brothers Edition that sounds warm and PHAT.  It is not the country of origin but your own setup that counts.

Bob, let us know what you are looking for in your model so we can dream and save our pennys, I know I am saving up for one.

Thanks and God Bless
Robert
david fitch

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »

Robert, I knew you would chime in and tell us about your Marcus Miller Sig. Bass. My "Made In Japan" 75 Reissue is the same Bass minus the onboard active preamp and vintage tuners. I love this Bass and it's my favorite Jazz out of the three I own, the other two being made in U.S.A. I agree, it's not the country ,price or name on the Bass.   
BassnforGod

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »

David,

I love that neck on that piece, and the swamp ash body sounds great.  It is a little heavy for most, but being 6'3" and 240# I have no problems with it.  But I can sure tell after long weekend with it.  After a few months of searching I finally located a Kramer to try out, but it was not for sale.  I finally located and body and neck from Kramer of my own.  I was able to put together a good setup and really like sound she has.  But my 13 year old son likes it even more and has claimed the Kramer as his.  Have you heard of the Christain rocker Toby Mac?  His bass player Toddiefunk is a Fender Jazz player, in fact other than the black block inlay in the neck, it looks just like a MM.

I sure hope Bob get a PJ setup on his sig bass, what do you think?

Robert
Bob Babbitt
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »

Hey Guys...Just a quick Bass note...
Getting close to finish on Prototype
Still some decisions to be made...Should know soon....
Fender has many, many Artist signature Basses...
The two questions I asked on the tour were "How do you know which model to manufacture?....."Is it by consumer demand?"
The answer was that most of the time it is by the consumer demand...
Thats why you may see more Roscoe Beck/Geddy Lee...
The Duck Dunn/Noel Reading may not be in much demand?   I think that Duck does have a Lakeland signature now....
The Custom Basses are made in Corona CA.....The cost for some of these basses can be as much as $5,000.00 and the American Standard Models that are made there are around $1,500.00+.....They said that there are times when a rush order for one particular model comes and everyone may be working on that order for several days....
I know that Japan makes the Marcus Miller Bass and I have been told it is an extremely successful seller...Not sure what the cost is.....
I can personally tell you that after touring the Escenada, Mexico Fender complex consisting of 8 or 9 huge buildings, 1,200 employees, each one of them have one specific thing they do on the Bass/Guitar, I was blown away!....At the end of the process of making the instruments the people who work on the final stages are actually Bass and Guitar players! I asked what their quota for one day was, thinking it may be 150/200?....Boy, was I off...600...SIX HUNDRED A DAY...Wow! I think that the Corona complex was the same...Along with Japan that equals a s**t load of Fender Basses and Guitars...Anyway, I feel very fortunate now to be part of the Fender family...The Fender people are so down to earth and committed to expanding their tradition of
making the best Basses and Guitars in the world! I know that when the time comes for the "Babbitt Bass" they will be 1000% behind it!
Sorry, I said I was going to write a "quick Bass note" but I think I took a solo>>>>>

SRT80

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 01:11:40 AM »

Hey Bob, appreciate the info!  I do have a question.  I don't know if you can answer or not.  I remember you sayin' not too long ago that Fender sent you a 62 RI to test out when doin' your signature?  If so, is your signature gonna be like a 60's reissue or is it gonna be more of a modern bass?  If this is a question you can't answer, no problem.  I'm hopin' it's a vintage 60's style.  But then again, maybe a more modern bass with one of those cool bass mutes like on your Toad bass would be cool too!  8)

I think it's great you're gettin' a signature bass.  When I get mine, I hope to bump into you in Nashville sometime to get it signed!

Take care,
Steve
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:15:55 AM by SRT80 » Logged

"I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more FUNK!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea