Bob Babbitt's Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum Stats
2890 Posts in 491 Topics by 376 Members
Latest Member: Rusty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Bob Babbitt's Forum  |  Welcome to Bob's Forum!  |  About Bob  |  Fender Bob Babbitt signature bass « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fender Bob Babbitt signature bass  (Read 49763 times)
geoff firebaugh

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 03:36:26 AM »

This is so unfair, I keep pestering my local fender artist relations guy, and I keep buggin Mike Eldred at the Custom shop and no one will gimme any details.   :-\

I've heard a couple of possible features, but I don't know enough of the details, and Bob should get to be the one to spill the beans.  I'm getting ready to order a new p-bass, but I have been holding off since I started endorsing Fender back in july, just because I want to see what the BB sig. bass will have. 

If you could pick features you'd like to see on a BB sig. P what would they be?
I'd like to see a functional string mute, and the option of a maple fretboard.  (although I suspect it will be rosewood) I put LaBella flats on my Highway one P-bass with the rosewood board, and it was just a little too dark.  I think a maple FB would brighten it up just a touch.

thoughts?

g

Upright, Downright, in time, and in tune!
george

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 07:52:39 AM »

I'd like to see it as close to Bob's main P bass as they can get....right down to the sponge in the case pocket as an option.....after all it will be "The Bob Babbitt signature bass". The country of origin is almost a non issue IMHO.
geoff firebaugh

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 02:10:48 AM »

I'd like to see it as close to Bob's main P bass as they can get....right down to the sponge in the case pocket as an option.....after all it will be "The Bob Babbitt signature bass". The country of origin is almost a non issue IMHO.

If they do that, then in 20 years, the BB sig bass will be most valuable if it's still got it's OHSC and Sponge intact!

g

Upright, Downright, in time, and in tune!
george

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »

That's probably a fair assessment Geoff.....and if the collector's are gonna grab onto a piece it probably will be the Babbitt signature bass. However at the end of the day it doesn't mean a whole lot to the musicians (as opposed to the collectors)  We like our instruments for all the right reasons.....can't say the same for them!!

God Bless
BassnforGod

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »

I hear you George, I play a Marcus Miller Fender Jazz, and I would play the same instrument if it was call a Jay Leno model.   It is how the piece feels to me that counts.  I am always leery of items that are designated as collector edition.  But I am sure I would love the sound of the "BB" sig model.

Bob,

leaving money and names aside, what would you say would have to be part of you sound on a bass you would market as yours?  If you can not tell us because of an upcoming release of a special instrument, I understand, but I sure would like to know.

Thanks and God Bless
Robert
george

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 07:23:57 AM »

2 cute
BassnforGod

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »

George,

great shots there.  I love the back of the neck, some serious action going on back there.

Robert
george

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »

nice bass huh....these guys know how to take pics of instruments ....this one sold last week for an obscene amt of cash ......they've recently added a 62 RI in the same color....much more reasonable....and in all likelyhood a better "plank to spank"
Robin the Bass Player

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 03:30:14 AM »

I've been hassling my local music store for ANY info on the Babbitt Signature PBass, so they know at least one is sold ;D

As far as MIJ or MIM, The last 4 Fender's I've purchased were MIJ. The first, a Squire Tele Guitar from the 80's, and I still have it. The second a "Vintage" 62 PBass re iss purchased new in 1994, and still played. The third a '54 PBass Re iss, Paisley, and it's my main backup. The fourth, a Geddy. I'm playing in a Rush Tribute band now, and the Geddy delivers! (If you watch the Snakes and Arrows DVD, you'll see Geddy is playing his '74 body with a Signature neck on it.. as well as a Jaco Signature for one song)

All of the MIJ axes I have play great. I did not respect my 62 PBass when I first got it, and it has a LOT of chips in the headstock from me crashing cymbals with it  in my younger days.. I've had to have the frets crowned  once, and the neck reset, but it's still growl's every time I play it!

The few MIM's I've grabbed lack some of the finish work I expect from a Fender Bass. They felt raw and "almost" there, but lacking some thing. That said..

I'm sure that if Bob puts his name on it, it will be good!

Robin the Bass Player
david fitch

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 11:17:37 AM »

Robin , I can understand what you are saying about the Made In Mexico Standard Basses ,but if you check out the M.I.M. Classic Series you may be in for a suprize, they are very well crafted Guitars & Basses. Dave
george

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »

I have to agree with that.....I've got the MIM 50's and the fit and finish is as good as I've seen on any of them.....no short cuts on mine....what it is though is polyester instead of nitrocellulose lacquer.....to some a turn-off, however to me it means my bass will look this good for a whole lot longer than a USA re-issue  8)
david fitch

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »

George, My M.I.M. Fender Classic 50's Precision has become my No. 1 for the Blues band I am playing in. If the "Bob Babbitt" Bass is Made In Mexico I am sure the quality will be great. Oh Yea, the polly does not bug me at all. Dave
george

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »

I know this is a little off topic......I know that Robert you use a "Sansamp" and perhaps you too Dave.....which model?? which one would you guys recommend for home studio and occasional live gigs......(the church where I'm the sound tech has a 100 watt Fender amp and it needs all the help it can get....especially the odd occasion when I do get to play bass)

GB/gb
david fitch

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

George , I am using the Sansamp VT Pedal and I have only used it live. I use it to get a more "Tube" sound out of my solid state head and my combo amp, I love the thing ! I think Robert uses the Sansamp Bass Driver and I know Bob B. likes those also , I have never used one so Robert can take over here....Dave
SRT80

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »

I think the standard MIM fenders are pretty nice myself.  Maybe I'm just not good enough to tell the difference.  I did play a MIM Fender at Guitar Center and I'm pretty much ready to sale my American Standard and find a nice used MIM.  That would put some cash in my pocket and still have a descent bass...

Steve

"I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more FUNK!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea