Bob Babbitt's Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2021, 07:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum Stats
2890 Posts in 491 Topics by 376 Members
Latest Member: Rusty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Bob Babbitt's Forum  |  Welcome to Bob's Forum!  |  General Motown Related Topics  |  General Questions... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Questions...  (Read 3418 times)
telebass

« on: February 29, 2008, 11:04:58 PM »

Mr. Babbitt,

I never had an opportunity to talk to someone in this kind of seeting so please bear with me. First I'd like to thank you for the memories of all the motown music of the 60's and 70's. This is the faction of the kind of music i grew up with as a young child into my early teens. I am totally in love with their motown story, the funk brothers story and I have watched the Standing in the Shadows of Motown DVD NUMEROUS times. I can feel the love you all had and still have for each other and it brings tears to my eyes. I am fascinated by the work you and James did, being a bass player myself. Your work is very inspirational to me. I was fortunate enough to see you perform live a couple of years ago in Harrisburg, PA and I was totally impressed by the fact that the remaining Funk brothers, at your ages were still out grooving and having fun.

My questions for you are these:

1. Can you tell us anything or any cool anecdotes about James or your relationship with him?
2. Are you still playing a Fender P bass and do you prefer the rosewood fingerboard or the maple and why?
3. Is it possible I could get an autographed photo of you to hang in our studios? I am a radio Air personality  and would love to have something like that.

thanks,

John Christopher
SRT80

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:26:14 PM »

Hello John,

Of course, I'm sure you would rather hear from Bob himself.  I'm sure when he gets the chance, he will answer.   But, I don't know if you read the "about me" section of this site yet.  A pretty interesting story from Bob about him and Jamerson...

"He was a great guy, but if you hung around him you had to run into a problem sooner or later. One time, the Platters hired Jamerson and some of the other Funk Brothers to play some live gigs around the Detroit-Dearborn area. James was packing a gun, because Dearborn was pretty hairy back then. At the same time, Luther Dixon, who produced the Platters, hired me to cut 'With This Ring' and 'I Love You 1000 Times.' When I -walked into the studio, there was James sitting at the organ. He said, 'I'm playing the session tonight,' and when he leaned back I could see the gun in his waistband. So I laughed and said, 'Well, I guess you are,' and turned around to leave. Luther stopped me and told me not to worry about it. Eventually, James just left.

"But we genuinely liked each other. James didn't hold grudges. A few days after that incident, I was in Golden World and James came in with his bass, kicked everybody out of the room, and said, 'Come on, Bob, let's go!' We played for hours. Boy, I wish there had been a tape recorder running, because there was some serious stuff bouncing off those walls."

Take care,
Steve

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:28:57 PM by SRT80 » Logged

"I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more FUNK!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea