Bob Babbitt's Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2021, 07:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum Stats
2890 Posts in 491 Topics by 376 Members
Latest Member: Rusty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Bob Babbitt's Forum  |  Welcome to Bob's Forum!  |  General Motown Related Topics  |  How about a Motown jam - Stevie Wonder, Supremes and Smokey Robinson and « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about a Motown jam - Stevie Wonder, Supremes and Smokey Robinson and  (Read 19325 times)
SRT80

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »

yea, I just went back to his (jshooks) youtube site.  Love the video of "It's the same old song"  That's probably one of my favs.  Hopefully soon I'll be able to get that line down.  But curious...how do you play through your computer?  I'll have to go back and recheck incase I over looked, but are you hookin' your bass straight to the computer?  I have a roland td3 drum kit and I seen where people say they run it through there camera when doin' videos.  I still dont understand how this works.  But yea, your sound is amazing. 

Steve

"I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more FUNK!"
pedro

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »

There is a way to record direct into the computer but I've never tried it. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to technical issues.
dc007

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s

You can see Jamerson briefly in this live rendition of What's goin on.
Also Eddie Bongo Brown and a brief shot of Earl Van Dyke

Also check Bob and a protegee out in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCme7K6gpY
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:20:37 AM by dc007 » Logged

Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Strat
Fender Champ
Ibanez bass amp
jshook

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »

Hi there - a couple of answers:

- Live setup - I use a Roland DB700 on stage, but a clean DI is all you need to feed the PA
 - To record into PC using a cable - plug into the PC's "Line In" socket with anything that converts the socket to your 1/4" socket on your bass (usually a lead or lead and adaptors that has 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and 1/4" mono plug on the other). Then make sure whatever software you're using to record is set to record from your Line In (i.e my Quickcam software lets you change the settings so that it records from the input instead of the buit-in microphone)

pedro

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 06:45:22 PM »

jshook  interesting to me that you left the ashtray on the p bass. I always found it got in the way. Looks great but its almost exactly where I play.
SRT80

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 09:16:12 AM »

Still confusin' on hookin' up to the computer....but I don't see me makin' any youtube videos anytime soon anyways  :D

I have the chrome covers on my J Bass copy and I like them.  Right now i just play with 1 finger cause I haven't learned anything real fast.  I like to keep my other fingers rested on the cover.  This actually feels better to me.

Steve

pedro

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »

Well to each their own right Steve?
pat coyne

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

Steve...you can get some tips on setting up your bass on the fender website....hunt around a little,  i found it and copied it off and use it everytime i go thru mine,  gives you all the specs and tips for truss rod adustment...i even got a wiring diagram for my jazz bass off of it.

"basso profundo"
SRT80

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »

Thanks for the info Pat.  Now gettin' back to the videos!  I just found this classic performance by the Four Tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX-1IJRHQEw

Man, I should have been alive in the 60s! :D

Steve

dc007

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »

Man, I should have been alive in the 60s!

Yes it was an interesting time.

Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Strat
Fender Champ
Ibanez bass amp
smroque

Funk Bros at BB Kings at Foxwoods Feb 15, 2006

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

As a non musician, one of the things that struck me in that Sound of Motown video you shared with us is how much Florence Ballard looks like Rosie Perez in the movie "White Men Can't Jump" :)

Sylvia
BeatleSongPlayer

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »

Hey Bob, this is Jimmy from Va Beach, Va. Jan Haflin gave me your number and I called you a couple of years ago. Any way we talked about you meeting Sir Paul. I didn't know you played on Stevie Wonders' "We can work it out" cover. Paul always sites that as his all time favorite Beatles cover song. I wonder if he knew you played bass on the track when you met him. That would have flipped him out LOL!! Later, Jimmy aka BSP
SRT80

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »

Hi there - a couple of answers:

- Live setup - I use a Roland DB700 on stage, but a clean DI is all you need to feed the PA
 - To record into PC using a cable - plug into the PC's "Line In" socket with anything that converts the socket to your 1/4" socket on your bass (usually a lead or lead and adaptors that has 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and 1/4" mono plug on the other). Then make sure whatever software you're using to record is set to record from your Line In (i.e my Quickcam software lets you change the settings so that it records from the input instead of the buit-in microphone)

still not understanding this.  I'm not too concerned with video, but wouldn't mind puttin' just sound clips up.  I'll have to do a little more research.  These cables that you use to hook your bass to the computer, you hook to the jack then to the computer to where your bass is hooked to the computer?  Sorry for the questions.  Anyone know of a easier way to record sound clips?

Steve

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea