Bob Babbitt's Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum Stats
2890 Posts in 491 Topics by 376 Members
Latest Member: Rusty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Bob Babbitt's Forum  |  Welcome to Bob's Forum!  |  Funk Brothers  |  PHIL COLLINS SESSIONS « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PHIL COLLINS SESSIONS  (Read 44685 times)
Mo-Fu Lori

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »

I see you figured it out...IMG code
Mo-Fu Lori

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »

GREAT pictures gang!....can't wait to hear the tunes!!
Caleb

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »

Hey Babbitt - just saw you popped in at soulfuldetroit. How about a few words on the Phil Collins sessions! Am wondering why release date isn't set til late summer/early fall - thought everything was done. How was it all-the experience,etc.Give us some details-Caleb
Bob Babbitt
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 03:38:49 AM »

Should have more photos posted by the end of the week....
The Phil Collins sessions were an incredible experience for me...First I would like to thank the good lord for giving me the strength and mental focus to help me play my Bass better than the best of my ability....I always remembered a studio musician in New York telling me "When they can't get the best they get some one better"...With the jet lag from the time difference in Switzerland it seemed like it took a few days to "find the downbeat"....Lucky we had a day off after we arrived before we started recording...When we arrived at the studio the first day Phil Collins was waiting at the front door and as we got out of the cars he came to each one of us and hugged us...He was so warm and friendly and took our spirits up to another level from where we already were...
The studio was the same studio that Beyonce, Alisha Keys and Coldplay recorded at...The engineer was super fantastic...It seemed like everday he had the Bass sounding better! Phil had already recorded his drums and even though he had surgery on his left shoulder/arm he played great! Phil had booked us for 15 days in the studio with the possibility if we needed it we may have had to work on the weekends...Well...guess what..we finished in 7 and 1/2 days! They overdubbed Keyboards last week and they will do strings this week and then start mixing...I can't wait until the record is released...It should be out before the end of summer...
Since we finished early I took my wife, Ann with me and we decided to take a train for a long weekend in Paris...She loved it! I will post more info as to what will be happening in the future with Phil...I know we will do a couple of filmed showcases, one in Europe and one in US in May/June....
Bob
PS...The Bass I used on every song for Phil was the Motown/Standing in the Shadows of Love film 65/66 P-BASS..I now have the Labella Nickel Plated Round Wound Medium Gauge Strings on them...I love them!!
david fitch

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »

Thanks for the information Bob ! Can't wait to check this one out ! Glad you and Ann got to get away ! Dave
george

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »

Hey Bob

Sounds like a great trip.....can't wait to hear the product. What tunes are on the project....or can you say?? (I was trying to read them off the lists on the wall,  but couldn't make them out).....Thanks for the tip on the LaBella strings.

God Bless
George
Caleb

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »

Babbitt,thanks for the post! Sounds good!
Bob Babbitt
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »

Links to Phil Collins Up Dates....
I will be answering questions this weekiend....Bob

http://www.atlanticrecords.com/news/article/?articleId=8a0af81227e0ace30127f93780640d22

http://www.philcollins.com/
Steffen

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »

Hi Bob, nice to have the opportunity to get some 1st hand information about what's going on...

Phil talked about 30 tracks to be recorded...so why do we get only 18 of them? Or will there be something like a "Special Edition" to get the whole bunch of tracks? Which other songs were recorded?
· Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue) [The Temptations]
· Uptight (Everything's Alright) [Stevie Wonder]
· Blame It On The Sun [Stevie Wonder]
· Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer [Stevie Wonder]
· (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave [Martha And The Vandellas]
· In My Lonely Room [Martha And The Vandellas]
· Jimmy Mack [Martha And The Vandellas]
· Standing In The Shadows Of Love [The Four Tops]
· Something About You [The Four Tops]
· Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever [The Four Tops]
· Papa Was A Rolling Stone [The Temptations]
· Some Of Your Loving [Goffin-King Team / Dusty Springfield Track]
· Talking About My Baby [Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions]
· Do I Love You? [The Ronettes]
· Going To A Go-Go [Smokey Robinson & The Miracles]
· Love Is Here [The Surpremes]
· Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While) [Kim Weston]
· Going Back [Gerry Goffin/Carole King by Dusty Springfield]

Is it true that your playing had to be an exact recreation of the playing on the original recordings? No chance for some alternate arrangements?

Will the showcases in NYC be the only chance to see this programm/line up live? Any plans for showcases in europe? Or even a dress rehearsal in switzerland?

Do you know which horn section has been asked to perform the shows and who the backing singers are?

Will this program include anything else than the announced 18 tracks of the "Going Back" album? Maybe previous Motown covers of Phil?

Thanks & greetings from Germany  :)
Steffen
Bob Babbitt
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »

MORE PHIL COLLINS INFO...... EXTENSION OF ARTICLE I POSTED YESTERDAY....
http://top40-charts.com/news/Pop-Rock/Phil-Collins-Is-GOING-BACK-New-Album-Recreates-Motown-&-Soul-Gems/55620.ht

Steffen...The tracks that will not be on the record will eventually be released as "Bonus Tracks"

The songs were recorded as close to record as possible...The main difference is that PC Keys were 85+% not the
same as the originals

The last show in New York will be taped fro a DVD...

It is possible that there will be more live shows.....Talk of one in Germany in the fall...Keep eye on my forum and schedule

Bob

The Horns are from Europe...I think England/Switzerland
The Background singers are the same as the ones on the record....I think from Europe and the US

As far as I know we will do ALL of the tunes we recorded plus some others...Including any Motown covers
RAY MONETTE

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »

FOR SOME REASON THE ABOVE LINK ISN'T WORKING.
LET'S TRY IT AGAIN.

http://top40-charts.com/news/Pop-Rock/Phil-Collins-Is-GOING-BACK-New-Album-Recreates-Motown-&-Soul-Gems/55620.html

RAY
phil_rocks

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »

will the dvd be coming out this year with the album as a double package or released separately

by the way ive heard too many fish in the sea phils version and you guys are sounding great it really sounds like the original
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:21:10 PM by phil_rocks » Logged
tstern1971

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »

will the dvd be coming out this year with the album as a double package or released separately

by the way ive heard too many fish in the sea phils version and you guys are sounding great it really sounds like the original

Will it be on the DVD???

Teresa
tstern1971

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »

Will Phil do more shows in US, or New York is the only place he is doing it???
Teresa :)
Bob Babbitt
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 11:19:50 PM »

THANKS RAY

d
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea